Friday, January 29, 2010

After Winning Over Smoking Dad Wants to Beat Drinking

I was watching my dad last night while engrossed with a magazine about “God’s Point of View of Alcohol.” With his eyeglasses on, and with one eyebrow constantly going up and down, I can see he’s up to something. He was a heavy drinker then and has been controlling the habit for more than two years already. He gives in sometimes though, when his drinking buddies pay him visit.

I’m wondering what he would do to completely control his drinking. Well, I saw him beat smoking almost a decade ago, in a flash. As I remember it, he was complaining about chest pain and coughing that gives him hard time breathing. One day, while at the porch with some friends, I heard him say “I can feel that smoking is taking toll on me already, and I’m worried I might leave my kids fatherless at very young age if I don’t quit smoking.”

Not long after that conversation came his birthday. He was smoking at extreme rate. Extreme, because he finished 1 pack in around 2 hours. His average cigarette consumption back then was 2 packs a day. To our surprise, not even a single stick touched his lips the next day. Until now…

I’m really looking forward to positive things on my dad’s drinking habit. But right now, I wanna share with you guys some real cool tips of cutting off the smoke. Got it from health.com. It’s called the 10 Crazy Ways Smokers Finally Kicked the Habit.

  1. Bury the evidence - Literally burying the cigarettes to give yourself a hard time just to get one stick a day should be enough discouragement.
  2. Eyes on the Prize - Bet and be determined to get the prize.
  3. Pay a Fine - Getting broke is never a good idea.
  4. Kill the Craving - Chewing something unusual in exchange of smoking can be real interesting
  5. Make a Deal - A good treat for yourself can be enough motivation.
  6. Kick Back a Baking Soda Cocktail - 1 tablespoon of baking soda and a glass of water
  7. Hypnotize Yourself - It worked on psychologist who also had hypnosis training.
  8. Start Small - 1 cigarette reward in a week for not smoking 1 pack a day.
  9. Get Dirty - You won’t like it if the cigarette is already greasy, dusty and foul.
  10. Say it Loud - It worked with my dad.
Hope it works for you...

No comments:

Post a Comment